Undergraduate Research Funding
Are you interested in doing research in political science? Would additional funding help you to cover the expenses of completing an independent research project or an honors thesis? Are you looking for funds to cover the travel costs to present your research at an academic conference?
The UNC Department of Political Science is pleased to offer funding to support research by undergraduate political science majors. These funds can be used to pay for research expenses, such as the purchase of software, data, or books needed to conduct research or the costs of conducting surveys or experiments. Research funds can also support travel to conduct research or to present research at an academic conference. Research awards are generally around $500, but smaller requests are welcome and larger ones will be considered.
These undergraduate research awards, which are funded by endowments created by generous friends of the Department, include:
- Thad L. Beyle Research Award: Awards given to undergraduate Political Science majors, with priority given to students writing a senior honors thesis.
- Bryant Memorial Award: Research and travel awards given to undergraduate majors in the Political Science Department.
- D’Amico Endowment Fund for Honors Students: Funds for academic research given to honors students in the Department of Political Science.
To apply for research funding, political science majors should complete the Undergraduate Research Award Application, including:
- A proposal describing the research project
- A budget outlining how the requested funds will be used
- The signature of a faculty member in the Department of Political Science in support of the application
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Completed applications should be submitted via email to Millie Tan, Undergraduate Coordinator.
Any questions about undergraduate research awards should be directed to Professor Christopher Clark Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Click here for the Political Science Undergraduate Research Award Application.